Sunday 17 March 2013

The third Brownlee brother...


Blog 6 – 17th March 2013

Happy St Patricks Day!! Hold the Guinness, Irish Stew and all things potato, for today is testing day....cheers! The funny thing is that I only have myself to blame, as I picked the date; it’s not my first mistake. Ok let’s pause the celebrations and get on with this. It’s the end of training block 2, 8 weeks down and time to see whether all this training is working. With the pub on speed dial and the green silk suit on standby, off to the University of Hertfordshire I go (didn’t mean for that to sound like a song by the seven dwarfs).

To replicate the battery of tests conducted back in January, I will be getting my basic body compositions measured, functional analysis, power measurements, biomechanical assessment, running economy analysis, lactate sub-maximal cycle test and then the unavoidable pièce de résistance, the VO2max test. Sounds a lot, right? It is! Well I’m not going to sugar coat it any longer, how did I do? Well, Alistair and Jonathon can breathe a sigh of relief; first, third and hundreds of other places are safe for now. I did however see some improvements in:

 

ü  Body weight and fat reduction

ü  Jump height improvement

ü  Running economy improvement

ü  Heart rate reductions for relative work

ü  VO2 max increased

 

Great news!! So it’s all going in the right direction but as discussed with the head of the study Dr Justin Roberts, to keep things on track I need to work on improving my endurance economy and capacity, working at a lower intensity with minimal changes in my blood lactate accumulation. In the words of Dr Roberts, I’m an acid producer. Rub litmus paper on my forehead and it’ll turn orange – not quite but you get the idea. It’s great that I can keep exercising during high levels of lactate production but ultimately fatigue and the will to stop will take over. This fitness component, although important, is more akin to high intensity exercisers but far removed from the world of an Ironman.

 

To help, Justin has given us all homework - heart rate training zones to follow, stick to and live by (see chart below). For me, I need to become more accustomed to working in those lower ranges, trying to make a rightward shift of the lactate curve... Brrr that reminds me of my physiology lectures back at Brunel. Basically, I need to train my body to lower the acclimation of lactate – work more in zone 1-3, a closer representation to the intensity that I will be following during the Ironman, slow and snail like.

 

Training Zone

Heart Rate (bpm)

Cycling

Running

1 – Recovery

97-110

108-123

2 – Steady State

110-123

123-137

3 – Lactate Threshold

123-136

137-152

4 – Tempo

136-143

152-159

5 – Intervals

143+

159+

 

Ok well, I better get back to my post testing recovery, sat drinking tea contemplating the training week ahead and putting the heart rate training zones into practise. Anyway have a good week and thanks for reading... [GN]

No comments:

Post a Comment